[vtkusers] File format recommendation

Markus lists at neuronenwerk.de
Tue Feb 8 07:52:20 EST 2011

Hi list,

I'm planning to use VTK for a 3D application and asked myself
which file format to use in my particular case.

I already read the "File Formats" document. It offered valuable
information regarding the available options, yet I still lack
some insight into the matter.

I have a series of x,y,z coordinates and a number of additional
1D data attached to each point. As I have to convert the raw
data
anyway , I intend to bring it into a known format, ideally a VTK
one. In the general case, I got about 1.000.000 points.

I'd prefer to use an XML structure, but suppose that the amount
of data produces too large files. Is there any way of
compressing the data transparently without additional software,
or is writing it as binary values the only option?

Can anybody recommend how to best layout a format for the data
in question? Please don't hesitate to ask if I left anything out
or have been too vague.

Thanks in advance,
/Markus