[vtkusers] grid lines in vtkXYPlotActor

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Wed Feb 2 13:49:27 EST 2011

Hey Steve,

I can't see a way to do it, but maybe I'm just overlooking something. Someone else can chime in if they know how to do it.

I don't know what version of VTK you're using, but just in case you haven't tried them yet I wanted to also let you know about the newer VTK charting classes. vtkChartXY would be the one you'd use instead of vtkXYPlotActor, and the plots take a table as input. (I only mention the VTK version because the functionality has been improved quite a bit in the development head and upcoming 5.8 release when compared to 5.6.1)

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkChartXY.html

This and the other new Charts classes and 2D API have very good performance for large data sets, are maturing nicely, and should be the future of basic VTK charting.   Look at the Tests (rather than the Examples) linked off of that documentation page for how to use them. Grids are part of the axes, so you'll have to call something like this to turn them on:

chart->GetAxis(0)->SetGridVisible(true);

Talk to you later,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group