[vtkusers] How to peel the skin from a non-convex object

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Sat Dec 31 11:39:37 EST 2011

Dear VTK-Users,

we have MRI Data from the stomach, which is a non-convex object in most
case. For an example, see

http://www.menne-biomed.de/uni/stom3d.png

I am looking for an operations that peels the surface, i.e. removes about 2
voxel-units from the outside in an operation similar to peeling a ginger
root with many branches. My simplified first attempt used a triangulation
followed by a shrink to the centroid, followed by removal of all points that
are not in the shrunken volume.

This works well for the convex center, but fails for the tails.

Can someone point me to the operation in the VTK toolkit that shrinks
locally relative to the normal?

Dieter Menne