[vtkusers] Fwd: Running a .vtk file

Martijn de Greef m.d.greef at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 05:37:39 EST 2011

You are correct. The core of the VTK toolkit is written in C/C++ and there
are wrappers (so functions that call "vtk functions") in a variety of
languages, for example tcl, python, java

I'm not sure what you mean with "the VTK files". There are basically two
type of files relevant here. The files that describe data (e.g. .vtk .vtp
.ply .mhd, etc) organized in cells, polygons, points, images, etc. There is
nothing to run here.

The other type of files hold the code in the language of your choice. So
this could be tcl if that would be the language of your choice, but also
python, java, C++ or perhaps even something else. The reason that I
suggested python is that, as many have some experience with Matlab, this is
something you can learn quite fast.

The vtk examples wiki could also be useful to you:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples

Martijn