[vtkusers] Best Mac development environment?

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Thu Dec 22 12:50:22 EST 2011

Hi Steve,

The compiler that comes when I install XCode has always been fine for
me. With XCode 4, the default gcc is built on the LLVM backend. That
should work fine, but if you have problems with that compiler, you can
use /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 instead, which is based on the standard gcc
backend. I recall having problems compiling Qt on this platform, but I
haven't tried in a while, so my memory of what went wrong is fuzzy.

I use emacs for editing, CMake for generating Unix Makefiles, and
terminal to invoke good old make.

Hope that helps,
Cory

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Steven Chall <stevec at renci.org> wrote:
> I’ve been developing a medium-sized application in Windows7: I’ve built VTK
> 5.8.0 and Qt 4.7.1 from source, along with my own C++ code, using Microsoft
> Visual Studio/VC++ 2010, generating the solution etc. with CMake.  I need to
> build the whole thing to run in Mac OSX.  What is the best development
> environment, and notably C++ compiler, to so this with on the Mac?  Thanks.
>

> -Steve Chall
>
>  Senior Research Software Developer
>
>  Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI)
>
>  Phone: 919-681-9639