[vtkusers] Volume Rendering Problem

Timur Aksoy timuraksoy at sabanciuniv.edu
Wed Dec 14 09:36:12 EST 2011

Dear VTK users,
I have been a user of VTK for one year and stuck in a problem about
Volume Rendering.
Problem:
I have a Signed Short Distance Volume of an object where object's inside
has negative, outside has positive and boundaries have 0 level set
scalar values.  I want to project this volume with Minimum Intensity
Projection onto an image plane in off screen mode.  And then I want to
convert the resulting render window into vtkimage data and finally to
ITK image data for further processing.  That is the only way I can
obtain MinIP in ITK, I believe.     However I want to preserve the
negative values inside and 0-level set on the boundaries on 2D rendered
image.  I have tried FixedPointRayCastVolume Mapper since it is the only
Ray caster that accepts signed data types.  However in the setColor
method of Volume Property, I can map volume intensities only to positive
RGB values with color transfer function.  Therefore the negative values
and 0-levelset are not preserved after rendering.   I have tried
vtkPiecewise Function for gray level mapping to both negative and
positive  intensities in SetColor method, but it did not produce an
acceptable rendered image.   Is there a way I can project the negative
intensities of the volume with MinIP and still get negative intensities
in the render window.   I have also tried other VTK raycast functions
but did not work.
The second related problem I have is that when I use vtkPiecewise
Function to map gray intensity values to positive scalars in SetColor
method, the rendered image is still unacceptable.  I was wondering why I
cannot map volume color with vtkPiecewise Function.
Last error I get is that I cannot export VTK image data to signed short
ITK image type.  I could export to unsigned short image type in ITK
though.
My related code is with vtkPiecewise Function is attached.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Timur Aksoy