[vtkusers] One huge, or many tiled screenshots for PanoJS3 with VTK?

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 12:13:41 EST 2011

Hi all,

I'd like to use PanoJS3 (http://www.dimin.net/software/panojs/) for
some big images/visualizations generated with VTK.
Did anyone else already do this? some notes/info online?
OR, is there an AJAX or webGL solution which would allow interactive
exploring of a VTK scene through a browser?

I see two possible approaches:
1. Render an original image with a huge pixel count. I tried defining
a renderwindow larger than
my monitor, but the screenshot I get with WindowToImageFilter is
restricted to the monitor size.
Would it be possible to render larger images using off-screen rendering?
I am thinking several (tens, hundreds?) times a normal 30" screen
which is 2560x1600 pixels.

2. render smaller tiles with VTK, panning/zooming the camera
appropriately. I am guessing the
zooming in/out by a factor of 2 will not be that hard. What about panning?
How do I move the camera so that the rendered image is shifted e.g.
exactly 256 pixels?

thanks,

AW