[vtkusers] Compiling VTK 5.8.0 with _WIN64 flag in CMAKE

rakesh patil prakeshofficial at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 23:16:36 EST 2011

Hello,

I was trying to compile VTK for 64bit windows machine. I am using cmake 2.6
for this purpose. During configuring, I had selected Visual Studio 9(64)
compiler. When initial configuration completed, I changed the following
entries in CMAKE

CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS = /D_WIN64 /D_WINDOWS (Default was /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS)
CMAKE_C_FLAGS = /D_WIN64 /D_WINDOWS (Default was /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS)
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX = Appropriate path where lib, header and dll files
will be saved
VTK_DATA_ROOT = Path where vtk data resides.

After these changes, I compiled VTK using visual studio in release mode for
x64 configuration. I found that only mpistub.lib was failing to generate
due to which other dependent libraries also failed to generate. When I
replaced the flag options from _WIN64 to WIN32 only for that
project(mpistub). It got built. Is this a default behavior of mpistub?
Secondly is this the proper way to build VTK libraries for 64-bit windows
machine?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Rakesh Patil