[vtkusers] Morphological operations on 3D mesh (vtkPolyData)

Julien Lamy lamy at unistra.fr
Wed Dec 7 11:43:24 EST 2011

Hi Arthur,

Le 07/12/2011 17:12, Arthur Porat a écrit :
> Hi vtk users,
>
> I would like to apply morphological operations such as
> open/erode/dilate/... on a VTK 3D mesh (ie a vtkPolyData).
>
> Is there any filter/api for this kind of processing? I failed to find
> classes working with vtkPolyData.
> I heard about vtkImageDilateErode3D but it is designed to work with 3D
> volumes and not meshes.

As far as I know, there are no such operations in VTK. They are however
quite easy to implement : you just have to define a ring neighborhood of
desired radius (the equivalent of a structuring element on images) on
each point of your vtkPolyData (based on the topology of the cells), and
then simply compute the minimum (for erosion) or maximum (for dilation)
of the points values on this neighborhood and assign it to the "center"
point.

HTH,
--
Julien