[vtkusers] vtkLandmarkTransform alghoritm

Antonio antoniod987 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:53:31 EST 2011

Il 06/12/2011 23:49, David Gobbi ha scritto:
> The title of the paper advertises (states) that the method is closed
> form (expressed as a set of equations that can be directly evaluated
> to give the solution).
>
> Within the paper, one important step of the method is done with a
> standard iterative (i.e. not closed-form) algorithm to find the
> eigenvalues of a 4x4 matrix.
>
> So, the solution presented in the paper is not closed-form.  The paper
> states that a closed-form solution for the eigenvalues of a 4x4 matrix
> exists, but it does not use the closed-form solution. It uses an
> iterative solution instead.
>
> It wasn't until later (maybe 2002?) that someone finally published a
> fully closed-form solution.  But VTK uses Horn's method, not the new
> method.  People who are just using the method (rather than
> implementing it) probably will not care one way or the other... the
> two methods would give nearly identical answers.
>
>  - David
>

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM, andon <antoniod987 at gmail.com
> <mailto:antoniod987 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I've not understood what do you mean for " it isn't a closed form
>     solution as
>     advertised." and "The complete closed-form solution was developed
>     later.

Wonderfull and perfect description, thank you very much. I'm using the
transfomr but i need also these "theorical" aspects because i'll
describe the workflow of my application also from a theorical point of
view.. Thank you very much again, your help has been very very very
usefull for me.
Good night
Antonio