[vtkusers] Build 3D Mesh from vtkImageData using vtkMarchingCubes - holes filling ?

Malsoaz James jmalsoaz at yahoo.fr
Tue Dec 6 12:03:26 EST 2011

Dear VTK users

I'm trying to build a 3D mesh from a vtkImageData using vtkMarchingCubes.
The vtkImageData is build from a list of 2D binary slices.

vtkMarchingCubes works great. But when a slice(s) is(are) missing, it creates a hole in the 3D mesh (see image in attachment).

1 - How can I fill this kind of hole ? Ideally, I would like to link the two parts of the mesh

2 - I found a solution in the use of a resampler (vtkImageResample, vtkImageShrink3D, don't know which one is recommanded). Unfortunately, it sometimes produces ugly mesh with "stair effect" when the spacing is too big (still there after decimate and smooth). Is it a good solution ? How to solve the stair problem ?