[vtkusers] Subdividing & LOD large amount of data for effective rendering and interaction

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 17:51:27 EDT 2011

Hi Zee,

If you are using the devel version of VTK, and if you stick with image
sizes that fit in memory, you can use the new vtkImageResliceMapper
class.  It is an image mapper that has vtkImageReslice built in for doing
resize operations, I use it regularly for RGB images that are up to
10000x10000 and it should work fine even for images that are much larger.

But displaying image sets that are too large to fit in memory is a
whole different ball game.  Right now there is no good way of doing
this with the imaging pipeline.  It can be done with streaming, but it
would be far too slow for your application.

What would be needed in VTK would be a new class that could act as a
multi-resolution image cache, loading images from disk as needed, and
generating a contiguous output array for display at the desired
resolution and covering the correct area.  This wouldn't be an easy
class to write, given the complexity of the VTK pipeline mechanism.

 - David