[vtkusers] Help with VTK and zlib??

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Aug 30 17:44:26 EDT 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:15:47 -0600, David Gobbi said:

>It looks like the xcode project isn't linking libvtkzlib.a.

I agree.

>Don't turn on the
>VTK_USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB option, it is best for VTK to build its own zlib
>(which is the libvtkzip.a referred to above).

Why?  I would suggest the opposite.  zlib is already included with the OS, and presumably QA'ed by Apple.  Why increase code bloat by building it again?  Also, Apple seems faster than the VTK community at updating zlib, as Lion contains 1.2.5 while VTK is still at 1.2.3.

If you use VTK_USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB, you'll of course need to link to Apples zlib in your Xcode project.

>Also, if you are building x86_64, then you will have to use Cocoa.  As far
>as I understand, Carbon is 32-bit only.

More precisely, any UI portions of Carbon are 32 bit only, including, I believe, AGL.

I definitely advise against using Carbon for any new projects.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com