[vtkusers] VTK pipeline execution

R M mlokida at yahoo.fr
Thu Aug 25 03:58:04 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have yet developped several vtk plugins that I only use in Paraview.
Now, I have to develop an application in C++ with QT and using VTK.
Maybe it is easy, but I would like to know how to manage the VTK Pipeline in my
application.

Do I have to develop the vtk pipeline like in the examples
(http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx) , or do I have to use the request
mechanism(for example, create a vtkInformationStringKey and using
ProcessRequest) ?

For example, if I want to add a new filter C between 2 existing filters (A, B),
can  I disconnect the connection between A & B and connect the ouput of  A in
the input of C and the output of C in the input of B ? Then to update the
pipeline, Do I have to call update on A (and all the pipeline will be updated)
or is it better to use the ProcessRequest for doing the update ?

Thank you.