[vtkusers] vtk-theory: some questions about "behind the curtains"

Fabian fabian-richter at gmx.de
Thu Aug 18 03:19:23 EDT 2011

Hello all,

thanks to Your help I managed to get my code running. But it brings some new
questions which I need advice with:

1. Each plane consits 2 polygons, right? Then 1000 planes make 2000
polygons; a number which my hardware should deal with easily; but frame rate
is poor with (just) 2000 polygons. Can it be, that I chose the wrong
strategy: I create a vector with 1000 planes then 1000 datamapper then 1000
actors...all in one loop. Thus maybe I should say, I created 1000 piplines.
Is there a better way? I hoped to measure my hardware-redndering-power with
some million polygons!

2. Is it possible to parallize the rendering process? I got 4 cores but only
one is used for rendering.

3. I am not sure about texuring. When I take a BMP, lets say 4 Mb; is the
internal texture volume 4 Mb as well (beacause its Bitmap?!). I couldnt find
a way to get the texture data volume (exept reading the filsize of the
picture on the HDD; but I am not sure if its the same!

Thank You very much for Your help; every advice is welcome!

Greetings,
Fabian