[vtkusers] Remove all plots from vtkChartXY

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Tue Aug 16 09:47:55 EDT 2011

Currently there are not any utility methods for setting the format of the tooltip text. Not too long ago, though, we pulled out the method which sets the tooltip text and position, vtkChartXY::SetTooltipInfo(), so it would be easier to create a custom tooltip by making a simple subclass of vtkChartXY which overrides this method. For your case you would just need to change the way the text values are formatted. For one of my applications I changed it to pass an index to a custom subclass of vtkTooltipItem which then displays an image associated with the hovered-over plot point.

It's something that would make sense to add at some point so that people don't have to do a custom class just to change the format of the tooltip, but if someone were going to add that functionality some thought would have to be given to whether you also allow people to specify other types of information they want in the tooltip rather than just precision of the existing info...

-Eric