[vtkusers] Using "Boolean Operations on Surfaces" on arbitrary mesh (stl) files

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 18:48:53 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 6:44 PM, louis10th <doyoungchang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all:
> I am trying to import stl files  -> perform Boolean operations -> calculate
> volume of final mesh
>
> I've tried using the "Boolean Operations on Surfaces in VTK Without External
> Libraries"
> http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/797
>
> but have failed. Does this work on arbitrary stl files or do I have to find
> a different method?
>
> Also, after the Boolean, what will be the best way to evaluate the volume?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Doyoung

Once you use the vtkSTLReader, the problem becomes boolean operations
on a vtkPolyData, nothing to do with STL anymore. The first thing I
would do is read your file and then immediately write it with
vtkXMLPolyData writer and load that file in Paraview and see if it
looks reasonable.

Also, what do you mean "you have failed"? Are there compiler errors?
Run time errors? Incorrect results? etc.

David