[vtkusers] Fastest way to triangulate ordered Points

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 10:47:17 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Rackwitz, Karl <
Karl.Rackwitz at medizin.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> i would appreciate it if someone could reassure my thoughts.
>
> I get points from an Surface-Scanner which are ordered in an nxm Array.
> Which is the fastest way of triangulating these points?
>
> Delaunay2D will take alot of time and i'm positive that a different
> approach is needed.
> Which would you suggest?
>
> 1. Write an own specialized method depending on the indices?
> 2. Use SurfaceReconstructionFilter?
> 3. Use Polygon->Triangulate?
>
> I thank the person who shares some Knowledge or hints me in a direction.
> Cheers,
>
> Karl.

Since your points are a grid, you can just insert them into the vtkPoints of
a vtkStructuredData:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/StructuredGrid/StructuredGrid

If your points are not in a grid, you could use something like this:
http://pointclouds.org/documentation/tutorials/greedy_projection.php#greedy-triangulation

Most level set style methods (Poisson reconstruction, etc :
http://www.midasjournal.org/browse/publication/718) will not work well
unless your shapes are complete objects (i.e. a scan from a single viewpoint
won't work well).

Hope that helps,

David