[vtkusers] DICOM Images --> Visualization & Processing

emreturkoz emreturkoz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 16:20:40 EDT 2011

Hi everybody,

First I want to give an advice to those who want to generate 3D volume
visualization from 2D DICOM image stacks.

I tried marching cubes with a smoothing filter and it seems to work now. How
it's done is attached in the code given below. The bottleneck is its speed
and memory consumption, but it's better than nothing.

The problem is that it's way too slow. I read from the internet that slice
cubes work faster than marching cubes but I couldn't find an example and
couldn't understand how the pipeline should work. Because if you simply
change marchingcubes with slicecubes it doesn't work. It needs
volume16reader and etc.  And I find it's very hard to implement
volume16reader because it need FilePrefix and FilePattern, which are hard to
input.

I have files starting from I10.dcm to I1560.dcm with 10 increments in
between. My first question is: How should I set the image range, file prefix
and file pattern for volume16Reader?

My second question is this: I want to convert DICOM images to vtp files, so
that I can work on them as polydata. I want to mesh them, make the blood
flow in them etc. I can do this for every individual file. What I ask is: Is
this OK for meshing and for forming the 3D Volume if I convert files
individually? How can I merge these vtp files to form a large whole vtp file
which represent the whole volume? And what tool should I use to mesh it?

I know it's a way bit long question, but I thank you for any help.

Best regards,
Emre.