[vtkusers] compiling vtk

Christian Vander Jagt chrisvanderjagt at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 9 13:49:05 EDT 2011

Hi. I am attempting to use CMake to compile VTK so that I can use it with
Python. I am using CMake 2.8.4 GUI. When I try to compile, I get this message:
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Visual
Studio 8 2005".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a
different build tool.

CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:C:/Program Files/CMake
2.8/vtk/CMakeFiles/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:C:/Program Files/CMake
2.8/vtk/CMakeFiles/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
I am specifiying the compilers (mingw32-gcc.exe for C and mingw32-c++.exe for
C++, leaving Fortran blank), I have the correct path to the source code, and the
folder i am trying to build it in is C:/Program Files/CMake 2.8/vtk