[vtkusers] How to visualize thousands of actors with good performance

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Wed Sep 29 09:11:14 EDT 2010

2010/9/29 Affolter Martin <martin.affolter at ntb.ch>

>  The example I used for comparison has about 8000 actors, but we also have
> bigger models with several 10'000 actors. I honestly doubt, that our problem
> is OpenGL related. We've been using VTK 4.2 and VTK 4.4 for some years now
> and have never had performance issues so far. Those only emerged after we
> moved to VTK 5.6.

Interesting.

There are two *major* changes between VTK4.4 and now.
- The painter infrastructure. (introduced in VTK-5-2)
- New pipeline. (Introduced in VTK-5-0)

An interesting exercise would be to update to VTK-5-0 (before the painters
but after the new pipeline) and check the performance.

--
karthik