[vtkusers] Static Qt and static VTK - is it possible?

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Fri Sep 24 08:50:26 EDT 2010

On Sep 24, 2010, at 7:53 AM, Gib Bogle wrote:

> Quoting Dave Partyka <dave.partyka at kitware.com>:
>
>> Hi Gib,
>>
>> I have recreated similar compile errors while building static vtk
>> against
>> static qt with Visual Studio 10 and Qt 4.7. I am not entirely
>> positive but I
>> suspect that QVTKWidgetPlugin shouldn't be built when doing a
>> static build.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I wondered about that.  Is there a way for a user like me to exclude
> it?
>
> <snip>
>
>> I am also getting some tiff symbol redefinitions that I will look
>> into
>> fixing.
>
> <snip>
>
> Yes, I got those too.  I experimented a bit with the configure
> options for including libtiff, but nothing good came of it, and I
> gave up on static Qt for now.
>
> Cheers
> Gib

I am fairly sure of the following: If you build a static Qt then you
can not load plugins. I believe this is somewhere in the Qt
Documentation. Therefor, if you have a static Qt, then Qt Designer can
not load the QVTKWidgetPlugin that is compiled by VTK. Also, since
both VTK and Qt use libTiff compiling Static should cause conflicts of
symbols although I thought that VTK did something to the symbol names
during configuration to add a _vtk prefix to all the method names but
I may be wrong. Tried this a few years back and finally gave up and
went with dynamic libraries all around. Of course I had the luxury of
being able to do this.
Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio