[vtkusers] Offscreen Rendering & Linux

endlosschleife1 endlosschleife1 at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 23 06:48:47 EDT 2010

Hello,

has anybody some experience with doing offscreen rendering under Linux with
graphics acceleration support and give me some hints on how to get this to
work?

I'm using a vtkOpenGLRenderWindow and set OffScreenRendering to on. With
that it does really not render into a window, but VTK still opens an X
Window (apparently it needs its handle). So for instance when I try to start
a VTK based app remotely via SSH I get the following error message:

# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb2b5b4f5, pid=16472, tid=3044047776
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.6.0-b105 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libvtkRenderingJava.so.5.6.0+0x66c4f5]
_ZN22vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow13CreateAWindowEv+0x37b
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid16472.log
#
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

Is there any way around the need for VTK to open an X window? Basically I
would like to know if that problem is even fixable or if I need to look for
other workarounds.

When I build VTK with MESA enabled it works, but the performance without
accelaration is unacceptable.

Thanks,
Mark