[vtkusers] Force updates (vtkTextActor, QVTKWidget)

Peter von Niederhaeusern pvonnied at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 10:33:13 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I'm trying desperately to display AND change a status string (from
"RENDERING" to "READY") on a QVTKWidget (on its renderer
respectively).

Unfortunately once the string is set on the display (say "RENDER"
while applying a transfer function on a CT volume), it cannot be
changed by
a SLOT whose SIGNAL I get back from a Vtk callback upon completion.
Most of the time the string only gets changed, when the user manually
clicks on the QTKWidget (where the same SIGNAL is emitted, btw)...It
is a timing problem of the update procedure somewhere between Vtk and
Qt.

Any hints on how to circumvent update problems like this?

I'm following the tutorial mentioned here:
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Visualization/DisplayText

Thank you & best regards,
Peter