[vtkusers] message from a friend of mine

Jim Peterson jimcp at cox.net
Thu Sep 2 16:18:16 EDT 2010

Mike,
My first attempt to use vtk with Java on a windows system was by using
the MinGW compiler, probably in mid July this year, to build the shared
libraries and java wrappers. The builds appeared to work, but apparently
the cmake files using MinGW assume a unix like shell will be used, and
add the "lib" prefix to all output .dll libraries, resulting in a
mismatch when attempting to run the Java examples where the Java statement:
 System.loadLibrary("vtkCommonJava");
generates platform specific names. Unix style platforms prepend "lib"
and would use a name of libvtkCommonJava for the above statement, and
Windows platform JVM's append ".dll" and use "vtkCommonJava.dll".
neither of which match the cmake generated MinGW library name
"libvtkCommonJava.dll".   I resolved that issue by generating a Visual
Studio Express project with cmake, and building from the visual studio
project.

Jim