[vtkusers] message from a friend of mine

Jim Peterson jimcp at cox.net
Wed Sep 1 21:17:55 EDT 2010

Mark Roden wrote:
> A friend of mine is attempting to build vtk from source with Java
> wrappers on win64, and encountered some pretty horrendous failures
> right out of the box.
>
> Any ideas on what to fix here?  For some reason, he's being blocked
> from posting on the list.

I built and used vtk 5.6.0 on 32bit windows with shared libraries and
Java wrappers using Visual Studio 2008. taking a quick look at the vtk
Java wrappers, I am not sure the mechanism for dereferencing object
pointers between the java wrappers and the shared libraries is 64bit
capable, the Java wrappers appear to pass a long as a vtk object
pointer.  The specific error actually looks like the vtk java wrapper
dll was found, but the corresponding  vtk shared libraries are not in
the library path.

Hope that helps,

Jim