[vtkusers] [Insight-users] hough transform for hyperbola detection

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Oct 31 20:03:10 EDT 2010

Hi Albert,

There is currently no specific filter for detecting hyperbolas.

However, at first sight, it seems to be a solvable problem.

The key to it, is to find a good parameterization of the
hyperbola.

Once you find one, you could reuse most of the code in
the existing Hough filter classes in ITK.

Are you hyperbolas expected to be in any position,
orientation and scale ?

One tempting option is to look at the reciprocation of
a circle on another circle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbola#Reciprocation_of_a_circle

which renders a hyperbola.

It may be possible to use this mapping in order to
reuse the Circle Hough Transform for Hyperbolas.

Should you find a way to implement such filter,
it will be great if you share it with others in the
Insight Journal.     :-)

                      http://insight-journal.org

     Regards,

          Luis