[vtkusers] Help with installation

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 08:10:50 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 5:49 AM, David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Vikram Mehta <vvmehta at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I went through the instructions step by step to build the Cone example
>> (Tutorial directory - Step 1) but this is the error I received :
>>
>> [100%] Built target Cone2
>> [vm308 at dyn109-239 bin]$ ./Cone2
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>
> It sounds like you don't have openGL installed. You probably need to do
> sudo yum install opengl* gl* libgl*
> or something like that.
> I'm actually surprised that VTK built properly without opengl installed -
> can anyone comment on that?

It is possible to have OpenGL installed but to still not have glx on
the X server.  For example, this can occur if you use vnc, because
vncserver's X server does not support the glx extension.  If that is
the case, it will be necessary to use Mesa instead of OpenGL.

Another possibility is that Vikram is using an X server that does
support glx, but doesn't load it.  The "Module" section in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf must include the following line:

    Load "glx"

If it doesn't, then glx will not be present on the X server.

  David