[vtkusers] Suggestions for the best approach using VTK

Barry evansbj at telusplanet.net
Wed Oct 27 22:42:33 EDT 2010

Hello All

Quick general advice question.

I'd like to implement an interactive dynamic directed graph application using VTK.

So the graph will change on its own over time, and the user will manipulate it at the same time.

VTK looks very broad and powerful and it appears there are several way to produce a directed graph.

I've worked through several of the examples:

1.) ones using vtkGraphLayoutView which is great for presenting a graph, but can it be interactive?

2.) Ones using vtkContextView which change over time, but are a 'bit' more complex to setup and lack some of the niceties of vtkGraphLayoutView.

3.) But to get the ability to move the graph elements around it almost looks like you need to build the graph up out of actors and add them to a render...

Which approach would work best for an interactive graph?

The source data for the graph will be generated by an XSB prolog program preforming assort bits of inference on an Ontological model.
The graph is weakly directional, and definitely not connected, it will be a forest of small trees.
This part I know how to do.

Thanks for reading this far,
and thanks in advance for any advice.

Barry Evans

"It really is a nice theory. The only defect I think it has is probably common to all philosophical theories. It's wrong."

Saul Kripke