[vtkusers] vtkFrameRateWidget: frame rate computation

Benoist Laurent benoist at ibpc.fr
Wed Oct 27 08:23:46 EDT 2010

Hi all,

A vtkFrameRateWidget has recently been developped (mainly by David
Doria) as a possible new feature for the next release of VTK (see the
project's page here http://github.com/daviddoria/vtkFrameRateWidget).

We still have several issues and we definitively need your help on the
good way to compute the frame rates.
 > The present frame rate computation seems correct when you add lots
of actors.
But when you had 80 000 spheres through a vtkPolyData and a vtkGlyph3D
(classical pipeline), it is clearly uncorrect.

 > Interesting , Darshan Pai tried this your tests with my old
vtkTimerLog class and it gives a different answer .
He used Test2 with 50000 spheres, the frame rate from the Widget is
around 900 fps, but the vtkTimerLog shows it as 30 fps .
With 1000 spheres, frame rate is still at 1000 fps, but VtkTimerLog
registers it as 71fps .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Benoist