[vtkusers] Coloring PolyDatas depending on various (externally computed) values

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 10:37:24 EDT 2010

> I have tried to set a color (see attached code), but I still need to remove
> the active scalar array ?
>
> Arnaud

What you've done there is correct.

A couple of comments:

      sphere->GetCellData()->SetScalars( data );
      sphere->GetCellData()->SetActiveScalars( "data" );

I believe The second line is redundant. Setting the scalars automatically
sets that array to active.

That is:

      sphere->GetCellData()->SetScalars( data );

is equivalent to:

      sphere->GetCellData()->AddArray(data );
      sphere->GetCellData()->SetActiveScalars( "data" );

Also,

      sphere->GetCellData()->SetActiveScalars( "" );

and this:

      sphere->GetCellData()->SetActiveScalars(NULL);

I believe do the same thing. In your program, calling either of them turns
off the coloring by 'data'. The color that is displayed is the
SetColor(t,t,t) (which is what I think you want no?).

Last thing - the preferred method of connecting filters is:

mapper->SetInputConnection( sphere->GetOutputPort() );

rather than

mapper->SetInput( sphere );

If I am still missing your problem, please let me know.

David