[vtkusers] How to manage a large VRML file

Hugo Valdebenito hugo at maptek.cl
Tue Oct 26 09:18:32 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I need to load a large data set, for example a VRML file (500MB), I'm using
the following code (C#), may not be the best way, with my data set it's not
work, not show anything :

            // VRML Import
           vtkVRMLImporter importer = vtkVRMLImporter.New();

           OpenFileDialog dialog = new OpenFileDialog();
           dialog.Filter =
              "VRML files (*.wrl)|*.wrl|All files (*.*)|*.*";
           dialog.InitialDirectory = "\\Desktop";

           dialog.Title = "Select a text file";
           dialog.Multiselect = false;
          if (dialog.ShowDialog() != DialogResult.OK)
          {
              return;
          }

           importer.SetFileName(dialog.FileName);
           importer.Read();
           importer.Update();

           //Convert to vtkDataSet
           vtkDataSet pDataset;
           vtkActorCollection actors = importer.GetRenderer().GetActors();
           actors.InitTraversal();
           pDataset = actors.GetNextActor().GetMapper().GetInput();

           //Convert to vtkPolyData
           vtkPolyData polyData = vtkPolyData.SafeDownCast ( pDataset );
           polyData.Update();

           // Mapper
           vtkPolyDataMapper solidMapper = vtkPolyDataMapper.New();
           solidMapper.SetInput ( polyData );
           solidMapper.ScalarVisibilityOff();

           // Actor
           vtkActor solidActor = vtkActor.New();
           solidActor.SetMapper ( solidMapper );

           //Add the actors to the scene
           _renderer.AddActor(solidActor);
           _renderer.SetBackground(1, 1, 1); // Background color dark blue