[vtkusers] Coloring PolyDatas depending on various (externally computed) values

Arnaud GELAS arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 25 18:04:12 EDT 2010

  Hi all,

I would like to color some PolyData depending on different kind of
information/data.

For each polydata, I have an initial color (chosen by the user), and N
values (volumes, surface, etc...), and I would like to efficiently
switch from the chosen color, to a color which represents the value.

    * To store these values (computed externally), which vtkPolyData's
      data container should I use?
      Note that I have about 10k meshes with ~500 triangles, and about
      10 computed values, and I'd like each polydata to store its N value.
          o vtkFieldData?
          o vtkCellData?
          o vtkPointData?
    * How can I efficiently switch from rendering with colors which
      would represent one value (e.g. volume), to colors which would
      represent another one (e.g. surface), then to the original color
      (the one chosen by the user)?

Thanks in advance,
Arnaud