[vtkusers] vtkPanel flickering

Granseier, Michael (VISUS) granseier at visus.com
Mon Oct 25 07:07:16 EDT 2010

Hi VTK Users,

my current problem has been discussed in many posts here, but nevertheless I want to ask again, if there is a better solution than the one I have found.

We have integrated a vtkPanel into a JPanel to show 3D volumes.
The problem is that the volumes flickers when another component (e.g. a tooltip under the mouse cursor) overlaps the panel.
First I have tried to activate the Double Buffering of the vtkRenderWindow ("DoubleBufferOn"). But with no effect. I also tried to set the JComponent method "setDoubleBuffered(true)". But also with no effect.

Than I found the solution here in the mailing list to set the two VR arguments

-Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false
-Dsun.java2d.gdiblit=false

Now the flickering is gone.
But is this the ONLY possible solution to solve the problem?
What about the double buffering? Is it not working under java?
Or am I doing something wrong?

I would be very happy about any kind of help.

Thanks,
Michael