[vtkusers] vtkChartXY

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Oct 21 08:59:15 EDT 2010

> can you explain me the difference between automatic and fixed axis behaviour? The only difference I see is when resizing the window the tic marks get recalculated in automatic mode and are unchanged in fixed mode.

I think fixed is meant for when you don't want it to automatically calculate the ticks and max/min range. The zoom and everything will still work, so it's not a "fixed axis" as in "unchangeable".

> Another thing I figured out is SetNumberOfTicks is neither working in automatic nor in fixed mode. For my understanding this is ok for automatic mode. It should work in fixed mode.

Yup, it looks like SetNumberOfTicks isn't used. The NumberOfTicks variable is used to store the result of the automatic "nice" range/tick calculation, but doesn't influence the calculation right now. You could always take a shot at implementing that, too. :)

What does work is to set the axis behavior to fixed, and then do SetMaximum, SetMinimum, SetTickPositions and SetTickLabels.

Good luck with the log labels, that would be nice to have.
-Eric