[vtkusers] vtkVoxelContoursToSurfaceFilter - control number of triangle of the generated mesh ?

Ashika Umanga Umagiliya aumanga at biggjapan.com
Tue Oct 19 23:20:23 EDT 2010

Greetings all,

We generate contour data using a seperate contour detecting algorithm and
use "vtkVoxelContoursToSurfaceFilter" to generate the mesh.
Source image size is around 1000x1000 pixels.
Please refer image at - http://oi55.tinypic.com/2e2f2xd.jpg .

So,the maximum x,y coordinates of contour data is also in the range
1000x1000.
As see in the image at - http://oi51.tinypic.com/4lt9c3.jpg ,
, every small circle is added as a "vtkPoint" when generating "vtkPolyData".

At first vtk could not generate mesh and crashed .
So I divide original node x,y data by 5 (scaled down by 5) before sending to
 "vtkPoints.SetPoint()".

Still the generated mesh has huge number of triangles.
Here is the genereated mesh - http://oi51.tinypic.com/98soib.jpg
Wireframe of the mesh  - http://oi51.tinypic.com/r7ly10.jpg
Zoomed in -  http://oi53.tinypic.com/r08k07.jpg

My question is ,is there a way to produce the optimized number of triangles
for the mesh ? ()
Our target image range is from 512x512 to 2000x2000. (that is,counter )
Any tips of adjusting the best triangle count depend of the image size?

Thanks in advance,
umanga