[vtkusers] vtkHardwareSelection produces bad a bad result

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Oct 18 09:32:56 EDT 2010

This is an inherent limitation in the algorithm.

The hardware selector, and it predecessor vtkVisibleCellSelector, render an
image and determine what cell was drawn behind each pixel. I said cell not
cells because there is no way to recover more than one cell from the color
of any given pixel. The only workaround I know of is to increase the screen
size as you are already doing.

There might be some sort of topological walk algorithm that would produce an
exact result but I am not aware of one and suspect that it will be orders of
magnitude slower than the rendering based algorithm we have now. A frustum
selection will produce an exact result and do it fairly quickly, but it does
not and can not determine which cells are visible and which are not.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
28 Corporate Drive