[vtkusers] Reading standard image types

Florian Bruckner e0425375 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 02:59:38 EDT 2010

Sometimes ago I wanted to write an equal reader for unstructured grid
data. i added all readers to a python dictionary and looped over all
readers. But my problem was that there was no CanReadFile() available
for all of the readers (in my case vtkUnstructuredGridReader,
vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader, vtkAVSucdReader).

my next approach was to simply call the reader and watch for error
events, but there i also problems because I could only catch some of the
created errors while some others are directly reported to the console.

So here my question: would it be the best way to implement this
CanReadFile() function for each of the wanted readers and then
automatically call it before the file should be opened. Or is there a
better solution?

As i could see from the class hierarchy vtkAVSucdReader (as many others)
is based on vtkUnstructuredGridAlgorithm which does not contain
CanReadFile(). Should it then be directly added to the vtkAVSucdReader
structure?

FloB