[vtkusers] Reading standard image types

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 13:53:12 EDT 2010

David,

ITK has a very nice IO factory mechanism and the itk image reader
determines at run-time what io reader to use. It can also load shared
libraries to add new types.

It would be nice to have similar functionality in vtk, but it would be
a lot of work to provide a solution as flexible as itk's.

There is probably a quick and dirty way to do it in vtk, but it would
be quick and dirty... I doubt if a quick and dirty solution will get
into VTK.

Bill