[vtkusers] Linking to VTK static libraries on Windows

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 00:37:33 EDT 2010

> I'm focussing on this because the vtkCylinderSource link error also occurs
> when I build the application that I originally posted about.  This current
> example looks more tractable because there is only this single error.
>
> I've looked carefully at the Project Properties for the Cylinder build, and
> I've made sure that the QVTK_test Properties are the same, or as close as
> possible (my program uses Qt, so there are additional libraries and include
> directories).  I am using exactly the same libraries, in the same order
> (except for the extra Qt libraries).  All to no avail - I still get the
> unresolved external symbol error for vtkCylinderSource::New(void).
>
> I've been ignoring the warnings, because I don't understand them.  Maybe
> they are significant.

My suggestion: Build your examples using cmake until you get the hang
of doing linking vtk the hard way. Static linking works without any
fuss at all this way ( I know I have not had problems linking vtk in
almost 3 years.. Just look at the generated visual studio project
files to learn how to use vtk without cmake.

John