[vtkusers] Get PolyDataObject from a MultiBlockDataSet

Matthew Cragun mcragun at totalsim.us
Wed Oct 6 13:55:20 EDT 2010

I have a MultiBlockDataSet with only one block(CompositeDataSet) that has
two children(PolyDataObjects).  I'm using Python.

vtmReader = vtkXMLMultiBlockDataReader()
vtmReader.SetFileName("C:/Paraview/test.vtm")
vtmReader.Update()
vtm = vtmReader.GetOutput()

Where vtm is my MultiBlockDataSet.

I have two questions:
1.  How do I access the children?
    I was think of doing something like this (although I know this
implementation is wrong):

vtmBlock0 = vtm.GetBlock(0)   #This would return the CompositeDataSet (Even
though I don't think it works this way)
vtmChild0 = vtmBlock0.GetChild(0)  # This would return the first
polyDataObject
vtmChild1 = vtmBlock1.GetChild(1)  #This would return the second
polyDataObject

2. Can I create one large PolyDataObject from all children with some sort of
merge? I know if I separate them they can be appended, but I'm wondering if
theres a faster way to do it.

Thanks in advance.
--
Matt Cragun