[vtkusers] Generating Mesh from Contour Data?

Ashika Umanga Umagiliya aumanga at biggjapan.com
Mon Oct 4 05:38:00 EDT 2010

Greetings all,

I refered the post below on this topic ,

http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Creating-a-3D-surface-mesh-from-a-stack-of-contours-td1245753.html

In the solution given below , I don't understand the variable
"input_image" (which i assume of type vtkImageData).
Is it the volume-data which is used to extract contours? Can't I
generate mesh only using contours  without this image data?

vtkAppendPolyData * app = vtkAppendPolyData::New();

for (std::vector<vtkPolyData*>::iterator i = roi.contours.begin(); i !=
roi.contours.end(); i++)
        app->AddInput(*i);

    vtkPolyDataWriter* w=vtkPolyDataWriter::New();
    vtkLinearExtrusionFilter * extrude=vtkLinearExtrusionFilter::New();
    extrude->SetInput(app->GetOutput());
    extrude->SetVector(0, 0, 3);  //3 is the Z spacing between contours
    extrude->CappingOn();
    extrude->Update();

    vtkPolyDataToImageStencil* sts=vtkPolyDataToImageStencil::New();
    vtkImageStencil* stencil=vtkImageStencil::New();
    sts->SetInput(extrude->GetOutput());
    sts->SetInformationInput(input_image);   /////****** What is this
input_image ?
    sts->Update();
    stencil->SetStencil(sts->GetOutput());
    stencil->SetInput(input_image);

    vtkSmartPointer<vtkMarchingCubes> marching =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkMarchingCubes>::New();
    marching->SetInput(stencil->GetOutput());
    marching->SetValue(0,0.5);
    marching->Update();
  **

Thanks in advance.