[vtkusers] How to visualize thousands of actors with good performance

Jim Peterson jimcp at cox.net
Fri Oct 1 19:26:31 EDT 2010

I had started to do some testing using Java as the host language, and
Start and End event callbacks to the renderer to get
render times while interacting with the display. I also found the number
of actors did not appear to be the significant factor, perhaps if Bill
can run similar test with 100 and 1000 spheres will give some additional
points for comparison across the versions. It may be the render times
for increasing objects or points in not linear across the VTK versions.

FWIW, this is beginning to sound like an available memory or paging
effect on the timings rather than a simple CPU time issue. perhaps the
newer versions require a larger virtual storage load and hit the thrash
boundary for paging earlier than older releases. This might be a reason
for a knee in the graph of frame rate performance at some number of
objects. The knee will likely be at a different point per version
depending on the relative storage usage.

HTH,
Jim