[vtkusers] Inserting and Selecting BLOB with vtkODBCDatabase

Donny donnyz at charter.net
Fri Nov 26 12:30:16 EST 2010

I am trying to insert and select blob's with an odbc database (specifically
Microsoft access database .mdb).

The call db->IsSupported(VTK_SQL_FEATURE_BLOB); returns true so this is
good.

According to the documentation I see that I should be able to insert a blob
using:

bool vtkODBCQuery::BindParameter  ( int  index,

  const void *  data,

  size_t  length

 )   [virtual]

My question is how do I retrieve this blob using a select statement.

The data is stored in the database as LongVarBinary.

I see that in the call to vtkODBCQuery::GetFieldType(int column):

case SQL_BINARY:

      case SQL_VARBINARY:

      case SQL_LONGVARBINARY:

        return VTK_STRING;

So my question is should the call:

vtkVariant vtkODBCQuery::DataValue(vtkIdType column)

return a vtkStdString?

Thanks.

Donny Zimmerman

donnyz at charter.net