[vtkusers] Surface Normal Vectors

SHACKELFORD Steve (AREVA) Steve.Shackelford at areva.com
Mon Nov 15 16:40:39 EST 2010

Greetings,

I have a laser line scanned surface created using triangle strips.  When I interrogate the input vtkPolyData, I find that I have 107639 points.  When I create the vtkPolyDataNormals, I find that this contains 108698 points -- there is obviously not a one-to-one correlation between the input data and the output for the normal filter.  I understand that the vtkPolyDataNormals filter takes some liberties with the data to achieve a better visual presentation, but what I am interested in is an accurate association of the normal vectors with the original input data.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Steve Shackelford
Design Engineer
Areva NP Inc., an AREVA and Siemens company
155 Mill Ridge Road
Lynchburg,  VA 24502

PH: (434) 832-2424
EMail: Steve.Shackelford at areva.com

The information in this e-mail is AREVA property and is intended solely for the addressees. Reproduction and distribution are prohibited. Thank you.

L'information contenue dans cet e-mail est propriété AREVA et est à l'usage des seuls destinataires. La reproduction et la rediffusion sont interdites. Merci.