[vtkusers] New wiki Java examples

Sebastien Jourdain sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com
Sun Nov 14 19:32:49 EST 2010

Hi Jim,

I am lazy too and I could have done such kind of documentation, but
you've done it and that is GREAT !

I did learn VTK some time ago with Java and with the IDE completion...
So I know how hard it is.

Anyway, I could give some hints here that can be useful and that may
have a place in a wiki some time...

 - If you create a vtkPanel before using any VTK code, you don't need
the System.loadLibrary because the vtkPanel embed them...
- The vtkPanel provide you a renderer where you can add actors and
Reset the camera.
- the vtkPanel can be include in any Swing component, although it's a
AWT component so you may need to deal with HeavyWeight component for
menu and tooltip that might want to go below the 3d view.
- If you need to access the interactor for working with widget, you
might want to go to vtkCanvas, but you will have to setup yourself the
interaction style if you want a trackball mode.
- I've added recently some Enum for CellTypes and Helper for library
- The garbage collection management has been improved to be more
flexible to allow multi-threaded VTK management. Although VTK is NOT
thread safe. (See some other Java class about garbage collection.)
- what else... VTK is fun in Java !!!

Enjoy,

Seb
-