[vtkusers] IterativeClosestPointTransform for point clouds

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 19:18:56 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Caitlin Schneider
<caitlin.m.schneider at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to find the ICP transform between two point clouds.  I
> think the current implementation requires surface models.  Is there a
> way to use just 3D points as input?
>
> thanks
> Caitlin

Caitlin,

It doesn't actually require a surface, it just requires that the input
be a vtkPolyData. You can turn your points (I'm assuming vtkPoints?)
into a vtkPolyData with 0D cells (vertices) at each point using the
vtkVertexGlyphFliter. There is an entire example of ICP here:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Filters/IterativeClosestPointsTransform

Let us know if you have any problems.

David