[vtkusers] How To Texture Map a patch with vtkGlobeSource

Joey Mukherjee joeymu at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 11:51:34 EDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Aashish Chaudhary <
aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Joey Mukherjee <joeymu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for posting this example Aashish!
>>
>> I have some NetCDF data files that I would like to overlay over the Earth
>> and be able to extract subsets from them and the like.  To get this same
>> type of visualization, can I make use of the Geo classes?
>

> Probably need more detail on exactly what you are trying to do but in
> general you should be able to use Geo*  classes for the purpose above.
>

>> Does the have to be a texture map or can I use any kind of regularized
>> image data?
>>
>> Can you elaborate this?

I have some NetCDF files which are described as follows:

netcdf test {
dimensions:
        x = 5760 ;
        y = 2880 ;
variables:
        float x(x) ;
                x:long_name = "x" ;
                x:actual_range = 0., 360. ;
        float y(y) ;
                y:long_name = "y" ;
                y:actual_range = -90., 90. ;
        float z(y, x) ;
                z:long_name = "z" ;
                z:_FillValue = NaNf ;
                z:actual_range = -9.04707336425781, 10.6143484115601 ;

// global attributes:
                :Conventions = "COARDS/CF-1.0" ;
                :GMT_version = "4.3.1 [64-bit]" ;
                :node_offset = 1 ;

The X/Y are long/lat respectively, with the z being the scalar values.  I
would like to overlay this file and others onto a globe and specify just
portions of the map to view.  vtkNetCDFCFReader will output an image (I
believe), but its the part of mapping it to the globe which gets me.  I
can't just convert an image to a texture map, can I?

You can see that this is a pretty high resolution (5760x2880) dataset so I'd
like to just look at portions of the dataset to save time.

Thanks,
Joey