[vtkusers] Paraview VRML

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Tue Nov 2 16:38:59 EDT 2010

Hey Oka,

Well, since I'm not sure of your level of experience with VTK, I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to compile and use the vtkVRMLSource. Since it is written as a VTK class, you can copy it out of the ParaView source tree and treat it like any other custom VTK class that you would write yourself, building it against an existing build of VTK, and then use it in your VTK-based programs. Examples of how to do this are located in [vtk_src]/Examples/Build/vtkMy and vtkLocal.

For example, I have a group of VTK filters that I have either written or modified from existing VTK classes, which I have placed outside of the VTK source tree, modeled after the organization of the vtkMy examples. I was able to copy the vtkVRMLSource.cxx and .h over from the ParaView source tree to one of those directories, link it against vtkHybrid (I'm not sure if that part is right, but it worked...), wrap it in Python and use it to load the ParaViewData/Data/bot2.wrl example data file just fine.

So, if this idea is confusing to you, you may need to let the list know what your experience level is with VTK and we can try to help you get started. Otherwise, try building vtkVRMLSource separately from ParaView, against VTK itself, and if you have trouble with reading your own data set, try reading the bot2.wrl example data and see if that works.

Good luck,
-Eric