[vtkusers] Linux linking problem

Matt Thiffault matt.thiffault at gmail.com
Wed May 26 13:03:30 EDT 2010

Hello,

I've compiled VTK myself on a 32 bit Arch Linux system (2.6 kernel)
following the instructions in README.html I'm working on porting a large
project from windows to linux that uses VTK, and I've finally gotten all of
the source to compile, just to hit a linker error. First there were over 600
linker errors, which I corrected by re-arranging the order in which my code
was linked against the different VTK component libraries (Common, Rendering,
etc). The one linker error I have left is this:

/usr/bin/ld: ScannerApplication: hidden symbol
`vtkStructuredData::GetDataDimension(int)' in
../../../../../../../Libraries/VTK/lib/vtk-5.6/libvtkCommon.a(vtkStructuredData.cxx.o)
is referenced by DSO
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ScannerApplication] Error 1

>From extensive googling I've found that this error generally means that
there is something declared as private/protected in the given library that
something else is trying to access, and that usually this means that the
library in question was compiled incorrectly. However, I haven't been able
to find anyone who's had the same issue, or any documented compile time
defines that look like they deal with this. If anybody knows how to fix this
or has any suggestions, it would be much apprecated.

Thanks,
Matt